From: Parkinson Research Foundation
Sent: Wednesday, November 02, 2011 8:57 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: In Touch With Parkinson's

Hi, just a reminder that you're receiving this email because you have expressed an interest in Parkinson Research Foundation. Don't forget to add [log in to unmask] to your address book so we'll be sure to land in your inbox!

You may unsubscribe if you no longer wish to receive our emails.

                  Parkinson's disease news and information
                 November 1, 2011

                  In This Issue
                  Research
                  PD news
                  Exercise
                  Nutrition
                  Treatments

                  Disclaimer

                  This newsletter contains collection of recently published articles and stories found on the internet. They are presented solely for informational purposes.

                  Although we make every effort to research or investigate further the articles we do not provide additional follow up to verify that they are anything other than interesting to note. We urge you to do your own follow up on any of the information found in the articles presented.

                  If you have any questions or concerns about the information contained in the articles ALWAYS check with your own doctor before trying or following any suggestions found in the articles.

                  Quicklinks
                  Resources
                   Upcoming events
                   About Parkinson's
                   About PRF

                  Clinical Trials

                  Get involved

                  Donate Now

                  Connect With Us

           Director's greeting.

                        As a kid I remember getting all dressed up in a home made costume that my mother and I put together from all sorts of things. I remember one year I dressed up like the tin man from the Wizard of Oz. That one took us hours to put together. Once I even dressed up like a zombie. I didn't realize it then but my mom was genius with makeup.

                        My brother and I used to canvas the streets with our home made costumes and pillow case goodie bags. Back then we didn't care. we didn't have anyone to impress.I remember wandering from house to house not knowing who or what was going to greet us at the door. Sometimes I swear the adults were having more fun than we were. As brave as my brother and I tried to pretend we were certainly more brave knowing that our parents were waiting nearby in the family ride very close by.

                        Even still, for whatever reason whether it was the eerie sounds of those particular nights or whether it was the plethora of creepies and ghoolies it was impossible to hide from each other how scared we really were. The scariest ones were the ones that were so real that they were almost believable. Those were the real freaky ones.

                        I don't have much of  an accurate foundation to base my opinion on as I have never felt that sort of fear but from what I've observed and have been told by the people themselves is that most base feeling of fear can be a realized in full force when one struggles with Parkinson's disease. The fear of the dark, the unknown and helplessness is a very real challenge for most people with Parkinson's.

                        It is our hope that thorough our our programs, research and support we can be that light for people in the dark. The flashlight in the car as you knock on that next door to collect your goodies.

                        Brian Curro

                        Executive Director

                        If you feel the need to reach out to me or for whatever reason please feel free to: email me

                        Abnormal oscillation in the brain causes motor deficits in Parkinson's disease

                        The research group headed by Professor Atsushi Nambu (The National Institute for Physiological Sciences) and Professor Masahiko Takada (Primate Research Institute, Kyoto University) has shown that the 'oscillatory' nature of electrical signals in subcortical nuclei, the basal ganglia, causes severe motor deficits in Parkinson's disease, by disturbing the information flow of motor commands. The group also found that chemical inactivation of the subthalamic nucleus (a structure of the basal ganglia) in parkinsonian monkeys improved the motor impairments by reducing the 'oscillations.' The results of this study were reported in European Journal of Neuroscience, November 2011 issue.

                        To read more click here.

                        Structure of Parkinson's disease protein identified

                        A team of researchers from the Petsko-Ringe and Pochapskylaboratories at Brandeis have produced and determined the structureof alpha-synuclein, a key protein associated with Parkinson's disease.

                        Their findings, recently published in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences(PNAS), provide information that may someday be used to produce a newkind of treatment for the incurable degenerative brain disorder.

                        Alpha-synuclein is found in large quantities in the brain. Its association with Parkinson's disease has stirred curiosity since it was discovered in 1997.

                        To read more click here

                        Exercise safety and Parkinson's Disease

                        Because Parkinson's disease affects your ability to move, exercise helps to keep muscles strong and improve flexibility and mobility. Exercise will not stop Parkinson's disease from progressing; but, it will improve your balance and it can prevent joint stiffening.

                        The type of exercise that works best for you depends on your symptoms, fitness level, and overall health. Generally, exercises that stretch the limbs through the full range of motion are encouraged.

                        To read more click here
                        Eating Right With Parkinson's Disease

                        While there is no special diet required for people with Parkinson's disease, eating a well-balanced, nutritious diet is extremely beneficial. With the proper diet, our bodies work more efficiently, we have more energy, and Parkinson's disease medications will work properly.

                        A registered dietitian can provide in-depth nutrition education, tailor these general guidelines to meet your needs, and help you create and follow a personal meal plan.

                        To read more click here.

                        Nothing like mother's milk: potential treatments from stem cells in breast milk
                        Researchers have identified stem cells in human breast milk, which behave similarly to embryonic stem cells when cultivated in a medium containing nutrients.

                        The finding suggests breast milk could be used as a non-invasive and plentiful source of stem cells, which also bypass the ethical concerns surrounding the use of embryonic stem cells, for innovative stem cell therapies.

                        Stem cell therapy is a promising and rapidly developing field, as it could enable treatment of currently fatal diseases. One of the limiting factors to developing successful therapies is the source of stem cells.

                        To read more click here.

                  The Parkinson Research Foundation is a nonprofit health organization providing Parkinson's research, information and advocacy. PRF is an IRS recognized 501(c)3 organization and contributions are tax-deductible to the extent permitted by law.

                  Contact Info

                  Parkinson Research Foundation
                  P.O. Box 20256
                  Sarasota, FL 34276
                  Phone (941)870-4438
                  Fax (866) 317-0593

      Forward email

            This email was sent to [log in to unmask] by [log in to unmask] |
            Update Profile/Email Address | Instant removal with SafeUnsubscribeâ„¢ | Privacy Policy.

      Parkinson Research Foundation | P.O. Box 20256 | Sarasota | FL | 34238