Hi John,
You do not mention what strength of sinemet you are taking and how much
that adds up to in the day.  My husband Prem is 66 and was diagnosed in
2001.  We live in India, so our brand names of the same drugs are
different.  He has been on 5 tabs/day of syndopa plus (25/100 of
carbidopa/levodopa) along with a separate tablet of entacom (entacapone)
for the last three and a half years.  About a year and a half ago his
doctor added 1 mg of azilect as he had become quite under-medicated with
his dosage of syndopa and entacom.  He has done reasonably ok on this
medication.  The azilect, particularly, really helped him when he had
become under-medicated.  Prem's doctor told us that we should not be too
worried about the dietary restrictions with azilect and I subsequently
found literature on the net that says that with 1 mg/day the dietary
restrictions do not apply.  We have not therefore changed our usual diet,
which is fairly heavy on tyramine.
The only caution I would give from our experience is that some doctors tend
to over-medicate.  Prem's first doctor certainly did, with many adverse
effects for Prem.  His current one tends to under-medicate slightly.  He is
a geriatrician and has pointed out that as people get older, 'less is more'
works better for them.  Prem has the syndopa and entacom at 3-hourly
intervals, with the azilect once a day, in the mornings.  If necessary I
give him an extra dose of syndopa and entacom in the evenings - if we are
going to have a late evening or something.
As regards his symptoms - he has many of the Parkinson's symptoms, but his
gait, stiffness and freezing have all been greatly helped by regular yoga.
Balance difficulties have been improved by taking half a teaspoon of
turmeric every day.
Hope this helps.
Moneesha