John Y, I have understood Stalevo to be a combination of carbidopa/levidopa
and Comtan. I also understand that it will help to bridge your off-times, or
fill in the valleys in the effectiveness curve of your Sinemet, if you will.

I was diagnosed in 2001 at age 47, and I would say I've slowed, but still I
try to be as active as I can. My #1 complaint is fatigue and tremor. I
currently take 100 mg Stalevo 3 times a day, and have been taking it for a
few years now, and I am tolerating it pretty well. I also take Sinemet ER
50/200 three times a day. After an uptick in symptoms this year, I asked my
neuro, and he increased the dosage of Stalevo to 150 mg. This caused a
marked increase in dyskenesia. Since I like dyskenesia about as well as fava
beans (not at all), I went back to 100 mg of Stalevo and will be satisfied
with that.

Any other drug that I've tried, including Selegiline, has made me almost
fatally sleepy, meaning my drugs caused me to fall asleep behind the wheel
in mid-afternoon. Since then I have minimized my intake of PD drugs, and
quit a couple of them. I suggest you be very cautious in your activities
when starting any new PD drug, especially when you're doing something that
requires you to be conscious! Good luck!

Rick McGirr