Ah - This is incredible stuff!  Pleae share more about the other distributed computing projects you are involved in.  Love it!  Meg

-----Original Message-----
From: William Smith <[log in to unmask]>
To: PARKINSN <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tue, Nov 29, 2011 2:24 am
Subject: Protein Folding and Distributed Computing

Is anyone familiar with Protein Folding and the distributed computing project
alled Folding@Home?
I don't know anything about the Folding, but I do participate in a distributed
omputing project called World Community Grid which has similar procts.
This from the website Folding @ Home:
Protein folding is linked to disease, such as Alzheimer's, ALS, Huntington's,
arkinson's disease, and many Cancers.
oreover, when proteins do not fold correctly (i.e. "misfold"), there can be
erious consequences, including many well known diseases , such as Alzheimer's,
ad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, Huntington's, Parkinson's disease, and many Cancers and
ancer-related syndromes.
What is protein folding?
roteins are biology's workhorses -- its "nanomachines." Before proteins can
arry out these important functions, they assemble themselves, or "fold." The
rocess of protein folding, while critical and fundamental to virtually all of
iology, in many ways remains a mystery.
Distributed computing:
You can help scientists studying these diseases by simply running a piece of
oftware.
ome is a distributed computing project -- people from throughout the world
ownload and run software to band together to make one of the largest
upercomputers in the world. Every computer takes the project closer to our
oals. Folding@home uses novel computational methods coupled to distributed
omputing, to simulate problems millions of times more challenging than
reviously achieved.
Here is a link to  the project at  Stamford University.Folding@Hom :
ttp://folding.stanford.edu/English/Main
o sign-off Parkinsn send a message to: mailto:[log in to unmask]
n the body of the message put: signoff parkinsn