http://www.ted.com/talks/ed_boyden.html

The above is a TED talk about using ones own brain to change its inner workings - fascinating stuff.

I'm just finishing up the design of a small citizen science project that I hope anyone interested will join.

Those of us participating will "self cue."  There will probably be 3 groups of us - one cuing to swallow, one to speak loud, one to pick up the feet and swing the arms.  We will then self report how well cuing as helped with drooling, communiciation and movement/walking.

I've sourced some very cheap LED lights on a clip - we are working on making them twinkle every 30 minutes.  Participants can clip these on their watches (or where ever) and every 30 minutes the twinkle will be a reminder to cue. (twinkle - shout something out!)

We'll start with a very simple self-reporting measure, maybe 5 to 7 days of a simple log (20 X I was asked to repeat myself) (I stumbled 6 times) and get everyone a baseline.  Then we will cue, and do the same self reporting.  We'll gather the information once a week and I will analyze it to see if we can find any statistical significance in our self-cuing.

I think it sounds easy and fun - and we might well come up with something of value!

Please join the project - I can pay for the little cuing lights, and I'll do the analysis.  We'll share the information with everyone.  Maybe we can get it rolling among our own support groups or local organizations and build up something meaningful.

Its a holiday gift to ourselves.  Speaking of which - best of the season to you all!

Meg