I looked up this paper. The noise which is referred to is not auditory
or acoustic noise. It refers to an electric signal which is random and
is applied via electrodes to the brain. A typical acoustic random noise
is like that you get from ocean waves. Electrical noise has similar
characteristics and can be imagined as the signal one would get if one
used a microphone to pick up the ocean waves. On could then amplify that
signal and apply it to electrodes on the brain. To what extent this
would help is unclear since the surface of the brain represents the
total activity of the brain and only vaguely represents specific portions.

On a side note the processes in the brain consist of both random signals
and those that carry information. In fact it is thought that random
components are necessary for proper functioning of the brain.

K. F. ex cg Carline