I think history always changes. It's fun to watch the TV shows in which
people go back to ancient battlefields to apply forensic techniques to
ancient battles. In the past it was perhaps easier to destroy evidence,
disappear witnesses and participants, etc. It was also easier to create a
myth to replace the facts, before there were things like digital media,
hi-tech surveillance, youtube, etc. I'm not saying modern tech is
infallible. Just one look into computerized voting machines will show that
it's not. New myths are created every day online.

But take for instance Supreme Court rulings. There is one arena in which
everything is painstakingly documented, so that we pretty much know what
went on during arguments and deliberations. It's a sad fact of history that
the Supreme Court got it so totally wrong on various important decisions as
Dred Scott and slavery and separate but equal and Indian affairs and
prohibition and even as recently as Gore v Bush. In the case of our
escapades in the middle east, there is absolutely no consensus as to the
significance of what happened there and why the whole thing is playing out
like it is. But there certainly are a lot of data out there, contained in
the cell phones and computers of people across the globe, participants,
bystanders, and historians. Clearly, modern history is not infallible.
Perhaps we can point to today's proliferation of self-publishers and
do-it-yourself software as being a tool with which we can better discern the
wheat and the chaff. Can you imagine Arab Spring taking place without it? We
may have to wait many years to see how the Iraq war is treated by future
historians. "History will be my judge." Famous last words.

Now, how to apply these ideas to medical research...

I apologize for my lack of erudition. I'm just a piano player. But I like to
poke at a long-burning campfire and sing tales of yore. Tag team - tag up!

Rick McGirr