-----Original Message-----
From: Parkinson's Information Exchange Network
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of A Phillips
Sent: Monday, February 06, 2012 5:44 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Fallibility of History

Rick, "just a piano player" ?  as a keen but lousy amateur msuician I know
anyone who
can get ten fingers going isn't dumb.
I believe the key to successul medical research is for the patients to join
in.  After all,
we're the ones who want the answer so lets ask the question.

Most of human knowledge is on the internet and a medical dictionary is
easily bought.
(P.S - doctors - long words are just showing off .....)

> Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2012 14:49:59 -0500
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Fallibility of History
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> I think history always changes. It's fun to watch the TV shows in which
> people go back to ancient battlefields to apply forensic techniques to
> ancient battles. In the past it was perhaps easier to destroy evidence,
> disappear witnesses and participants, etc. It was also easier to create a
> myth to replace the facts, before there were things like digital media,
> hi-tech surveillance, youtube, etc. I'm not saying modern tech is
> infallible. Just one look into computerized voting machines will show that
> it's not. New myths are created every day online.
>
> But take for instance Supreme Court rulings. There is one arena in which
> everything is painstakingly documented, so that we pretty much know what
> went on during arguments and deliberations. It's a sad fact of history
that
> the Supreme Court got it so totally wrong on various important decisions
as
> Dred Scott and slavery and separate but equal and Indian affairs and
> prohibition and even as recently as Gore v Bush. In the case of our
> escapades in the middle east, there is absolutely no consensus as to the
> significance of what happened there and why the whole thing is playing out
> like it is. But there certainly are a lot of data out there, contained in
> the cell phones and computers of people across the globe, participants,
> bystanders, and historians. Clearly, modern history is not infallible.
> Perhaps we can point to today's proliferation of self-publishers and
> do-it-yourself software as being a tool with which we can better discern
the
> wheat and the chaff. Can you imagine Arab Spring taking place without it?
We
> may have to wait many years to see how the Iraq war is treated by future
> historians. "History will be my judge." Famous last words.
>
> Now, how to apply these ideas to medical research...
>
> I apologize for my lack of erudition. I'm just a piano player. But I like
> poke at a long-burning campfire and sing tales of yore. Tag team - tag up!
>
> Rick McGirr

mailto:[log in to unmask]

mailto:[log in to unmask]