Hi Rick;

You make a good point, one that I have embraced for at least half a century,
but to debate on which side has more idiots would not be appropriate here,
and I am commenting on the subject of ESCR at the invitation of Ray.

She has already discounted my response, i.e., Dr. Prentice and his testimony
before the Maryland House Committees, but I'd like to get specific and ask a
few questions, based on his testimony.  Keep in mind that I don't claim to
be an expert nor do I have any education or training in this science.  And
Ray, you obviously know more about him than I do.  But these questions will
be taken from his testimony before Congress.

1.  Does the science behind "somatic cell nuclear transfer" promote the use
of cloning technology to create human embryos for experiments?
2.  Is it true that almost all higher animals start their lives from a
single cell: the fertilized ovum. (zygote)?
3.  Do you agree that the National Academy of Sciences' definition of
"embryo" includes, "In medical terms, embryo usually refers to the
developing human from fertilization (the zygote stage)?....
4.  Is it true, as stated by Dr. Prentice, that "Both Reproductive and
Therapeutic cloning use exactly the same techniques to create the clone, and
the cloned embryos are indistinguishable?
5.  Is it true that "therapeutic cloning requires the creation of and
disaggregation ex utero of blastocyst stage embryos"?
6.  Is it true that "Unlike much stem cell research, which can use spare
embryos remaining from infertility procedures, CRNT (cell replacement
through nuclear transfer AKA "therapeutic cloning") requires the deliberate
creation and        disaggregation of a human embryo. (and this is,
evidently,  where the Ethics question begins).

So, the way I see it, and the reason abortion has been thrown into the mix,
Ray; those who have no problem with aborting "fetuses" will have no problem
with ESCR.

And Rick, I'd be careful of promoting an issue that has to rely on what is
done "for the greater public".  History cries out to us to learn from the
past, and not repeat the events that have been done under that guise.  The
problem was in who determined what was good.

In that regard, if Obama Care is fully implemented, seniors may very well be
individually scrutinized as to their viability.  Those decisions will also
be made considering "the public good".  If you don't believe it, there's
plenty on the web on both sides of the issue.  But for me, Obama Care is
going to adversely impact all seniors, particularly those in need of major
medical care.  (Such as ESC treatments)?

Regards,

Dave