-----Original Message-----
From: Parkinson's Information Exchange Network
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Susan and Iven
Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 9:26 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: falling down

My husband, Iven, has the same problem and has almost fallen over or has
to sit down.  He is now very careful on how he gets to standing positions.
Also we added a salt tablet once a day to his meds, since I have high bp
and prefer a low salt diet.
Lately he has been doing quite well even while doing some bending tasks
to set up our RV and gardening.
His BP is variable and sometimes goes high.
They also want him to wear compression (strangulation) stockings to push
the blood up his legs.  We tried the very firms ones they gave him and
they are almost impossible to get on, plus they are awful to keep on.  I
bought him some lower compression ones that he can get on and will
actually wear sometimes so that helps too.
good luck with the bp.

Susan    cg for Iven  68/58/58
Lafayette OR

On 3/13/2012 8:37 AM, Scott Burnett wrote:
> Ray and the group,
>
> I also have had several (3 ) episodes of extreme dizziness, almost a
fainting sensation.  This rapidly goes from bad to worse as I begin
shuffling my feet and my torso leans forward.  My chest gets now beating my
feet in a race to the ground!  Thank goodness all 3 events have ended well,
with me being caught by my wife or an innocent bystander.

> Here's the interesting part.  My Neurologist, Dr. Jacqueline Chan, who by
the way, is awesome (she works in the Stockton, Modesto, Tracy California
area-Phone number (209)957-7050) told me there were two possible reasons for
my falls.  On the one hand it could be the Requip I'd been taking for the
last 14 years.  It says right on the bottle, "Don't drive on this medication
until you've tested it's effect on you.  May cause passing out."

> On the other hand maybe it's something simpler, something that won't
involve increasing my PD meds.  Lo and behold, there was another possible
reason.  She had me lay down on the table and checked my blood pressure and
heart rate... a ok.  Then she had me sit up... virtually the same in both
areas. Then she tested me going from a.sitting
> to a standing position and whoa! Major change... my BP dropped almost 35
points!  No wonder I'm getting dizzy.  I've always had normal to slightly
low BP and we've added medicines that tend to lower your BP anyway.  Add to
that the fact my heart didn't speed up enough to push that blood and oxygen
up to my brain.  It was just pooling in my lower extremities.

> So, what's the plan?  Well. i'm probably the only 54 year old american
male whose Dr. tells him he needs to eat more salt! I'm talking salt tablets
and drinking V-8 juice in an effort to raise my BP!  Pretty funny, huh?
> I'll keep you posted on how I progress.
>

> Scott Burnett
> 209-478-9328

mailto:[log in to unmask]