Hi Ansa! Since I was the patient who participated in the work group which
developed the NPF kit, I feel qualified to respond.

Many of us who've had PD for awhile have been in the emergency room or
hospitalized and encountered that hospital staff have a frightening lack of
knowledge of PD! (At least here in the U.S.; I can't speak for other
countries.) When I bring it to the hospital or clinic with me, the kit
provides

   - an action plan pamphlet about planning and preparing before my next
   hospital visit
   - an ID bracelet  that lets medical personnel know that i have PD/
   - tools to educate drs. and nurses about drugs that are contraindicated
   for PD. For example, compazine -- a common anti-nausea medication -- is an
   anti-dopaminergic drug. There is a list of contraindicated meds on the
   convenient wallet ID card; a factsheet for  hospital staff; and a pad of
   reminder slips with "Important thingss to remember when caring for people
   with Parkinson's."The most important thing, of course, is getting my
   medications on time.
   - a pad of forms on which to list my medications, neurologist/movement
   disorder/physician contact info; pharmacy info, etc.. (In my experience, I
   need a new list for every shift change;
   - a magnet to display the medication list in my hospital room and at
   home; and
   - a 'thank you" card to give to staff that do an especially good job.

All of this is packaged in a durable, machine-washable zippered pack. There
is also a survey to give feedback about the kit,and a donation envelope.

This kit helps me to advocate for myself until knowledge of PD is common
enough that I won't need most of it.  I can also put extra things in it,
such as my pill-timer and some Sinemet (I need the brand name; generic
doesnt work for me) in its prescription bottle.

Sorry this message is so long. I hope that my explanation helps!

Jackie Hunt Christensen

--
Jackie Hunt Christensen
Conference chair, "2012 Minnesota Parkinson's Disease Forum: Coming

cell phone: 612-325-0372
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
blog: doilooklikeicare2.wordpress.com