From: Mary Ann Ryan
Sent: Sunday, April 22, 2012 5:40 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Info vs. Opinion

I do believe  that the 'death panels' referred to the Act requiring that all
people over a certain age have an advanced directive.  It was amusing to me
that my Republican friends were all over that - yet a R. State Senator that
I know here in Michigan had presented a bill at the Senate level proposing
that people over the age of 70 receiving Medicaid had to have an advanced
directive.  Guess it all depends on what side of the fence you happen to be
sitting on that particularly day determines how you feel about the issue.

Advanced Directives, as all folks on this list already know, should be part
of anyone's medical information.  Even young people should designate what
they want done if they are incapable of directing their own medical care.
Then we wouldn't have to deal with whether or not a vent should be
discontinued or a feeding tube removed.

Incidentally, there was a section in the Health Care Act that stated that
children with genetic diseases that required advanced medical care not
receive it.  I know a mom who fought to have that removed - and Sarah Palin
was a major force in shutting down that proposal.
--------
Mary Ann