Ben --

I'm not sure what documentary evidence you're talking about. It used to
be widely believed that the Globe was on the north side of Maiden Lane
(now Park Street) because of a series of early modern leases that seemed
to put it there. But in "The Site of the Globe Playhouse, Southwark"
(1924), W. W. Braines showed that all these leases were copying a
property description that had appeared in one early document, and that
this document had mistakenly reversed the north-south orientation in its
description. Braines made a very strong case for locating the Globe on
the south side of Maiden Lane / Park Street, and while there were still
some holdouts between 1924 and 1989 who still clung to the old belief,
the discovery of the Globe's foundations in 1989 effectively clinched
the matter, and showed that Braines was right. Julian Bowsher and Pat
Miller of the Museum of London Archeology Service discuss all this in
considerable detail in their 2010 book "The Rose and the Globe:
Playhouses of Shakespeare's Bankside, Southwark", which also includes
all the details of the excavations of the Rose and Globe sites. Another
book coming out from MoLAS next month, "Shakespeare's London
Theatreland", will include details of the Theatre and Curtain
excavations in Shoreditch.

Dave Kathman