Dear David,

In independent research I found that the two areas of land which were purchased for the Globe were identifiable on the north side of maiden lane. I later discovered George Hubbard’s “On the Site of the Globe Playhouse of Shakespeare” which added to my findings. I also checked out this business of mistaking the north-south, east-west orientation and the Baines argument is disingenuous and what one would expect from a civil servant who was not prepared to admit he had made a mistake. Actually, I’m not hung up on where the Globe is or whether another theatre was excavated. Wallace’s findings indicate the North. A theatre is excavated on the South of Maiden Lane. Someone is wrong. I need to dig out the map that shows the two plots and I’ll send you a copy.

Best wishes,

Ben

From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">David Kathman
Sent: Thursday, June 07, 2012 6:31 PM
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Curtain

Ben --

I'm not sure what documentary evidence you're talking about. It used to be widely believed that the Globe was on the north side of Maiden Lane (now Park Street) because of a series of early modern leases that seemed to put it there. But in "The Site of the Globe Playhouse, Southwark" (1924), W. W. Braines showed that all these leases were copying a property description that had appeared in one early document, and that this document had mistakenly reversed the north-south orientation in its description. Braines made a very strong case for locating the Globe on the south side of Maiden Lane / Park Street, and while there were still some holdouts between 1924 and 1989 who still clung to the old belief, the discovery of the Globe's foundations in 1989 effectively clinched the matter, and showed that Braines was right. Julian Bowsher and Pat Miller of the Museum of London Archeology Service discuss all this in considerable detail in their 2010 book "The Rose and the Globe: Playhouses of Shakespeare's Bankside, Southwark", which also includes all the details of the excavations of the Rose and Globe sites. Another book coming out from MoLAS next month, "Shakespeare's London Theatreland", will include details of the Theatre and Curtain excavations in Shoreditch.

Dave Kathman