......and its so difficult for people to   understand what we go through

-----Original Message-----
From: Moneesha Sharma
Sent: Monday, July 09, 2012 11:16 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: keeping PD a secret

Ray, thanks for posting this.  We too kept Prem's diagnosis a secret from
most people - only sharing the news with close family and friends.  It was
stressful, as the article says, but we did it because here there is a
stigma attached to nervous diseases as there is so little understanding
about them.  We felt it might impact negatively on his employment.  We only
began talking about it after he retired, which was four years after his
diagnosis.  We found that many people were understanding and supportive,
while others seemed not be able to handle it.
Moneesha