Hi Dev,

We live in Calcutta and my husband, Prem Sharma, age 67 was diagnosed 11
years ago.  He too is on syndopa, as well as entacom, donep and rasalect (1
mg).  Hallucinations are indeed a side effect of syndopa and it is
something that is hard to deal with for the patient as well as the family.
 We are fortunate to have a doctor who explains all this to us, and also
keeps the dosage at the lowest possible.  Prem is therefore usually able to
laugh off the figures that he sees.

My husband has benefited greatly from regular yoga (doing it for about 4
years now) as well as the treatment of an Ayurvedic physician here in
Calcutta.  In every patient of Parkinson's the progression of the disease
is different.  Now that I know what the symptoms of the illness are, I know
that in my husband's case, they first appeared several years before his
diagnosis.  However, despite that, he is mobile, is able to bathe and dress
himself etc.  I attribute this partly to our careful observance of the
treatment of the two doctors, as well as a very strict adherence to his
medicine and meal schedule.  Our Ayurvedic doctor, Dr. Pradyumna, is from
the Kerala school.  I do not know about Dr. Paneri, but this is the link to
Dr. Pradyumna's website: *
  www.ayurvedacharya.com
*

Parkinson's is a very difficult disease to live with for the patient, as I
have seen with my husband.  As caregivers, we get exhausted and it is
natural to expect some appreciation.  However, I have also come to realise
that so much of the limited energy of the patient is taken up with just
dealing with day to day issues that if appreciation comes, that is a plus
but it is not something that one can expect.  No matter how much empathy
one has, those of us who do not have the illness cannot possibl understand
what it is actually like to live with it.  Also, as you probably know,
depression and apathy are a part of the symptoms of Parkinson's in some
patients.  I do hope you are seeing a good physician, experienced in this
illness, for your father.  VIMHANS in Lajpat Nagar deals with nerve
problems and I am sure there are some experienced doctors there.

I hope this has been of some help.

Moneesha Sharma

**
**