Scot and all,

My balance problems have always felt more like a failure of my internal
gyroscope...exacerbated by bright light, hot weather, large unbroken
expanses of shiny floor, and, of course, stress. Though my bp has always
been low I don't think it's the prime suspect.

I wonder what kinds of aids people employ to keep from falling, like
Amanda's knee scooter. One of my favorite mobility devices is the common
supermarket cart! I would say to anyone with balance issues: choose a
parking spot based on proximity to a cart rather than nearness to the
store.

I also could not do without my walking stick—so much better, for me, than a
conventional cane, which seems designed to make me walk hunched over. I
bought a pair of Leki fitness walking poles (Google Leki or search Amazon;
there are other brands as well). One disappeared, but I actually never used
them as a pair--one pole-occupied hand works well for me.The key component
is the rubber walking tip; it is very stable and gives me a bit of support
as well as enhancing my body orientation in space. It really helps stepping
on and off curbs...like having a portable stair rail to hold onto.

There is a demo of an innovative prototype walking aid on the neurotalk
Parkinson's forum. Hope it will be produced and marketed. Here is a link:

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread175230.html

Kathleen