Thank you, Pam.  Very good advice that I will pass along.
Steve
From: REED-L: Records of Early English Drama Discussion [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Pamela King [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2012 12:01 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: York Master?

I think this is the safest formulation, Steve, except I might say "formerly
attributed to the so-called York Realist", as it is not only the
identification of a single hand that has come under scrutiny, but also what
could be understood as "realism".
Best wishes,
Pam

--On 30 October 2012 21:47 +0000 "Wright, Stephen K" <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Thanks for the reply, Cliff.  My sense of the matter is that there is an
> increasing degree of skepticism that all of these works must be
> attributed to a single individual.  They might point to a convergence of
> metrical, stylistic, lexical, structural, and thematic traits produced by
> several hands.  I think I'm just going to caution my colleague and advise
> him to use the old dodge:  "a play often attributed to the so-called
> 'York Realist'." Steve
> From: REED-L: Records of Early English Drama Discussion
> [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Clifford O Davidson
> [clifford.davidson@WMICHU] Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 2:39 PM
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: York Master?
>
> Steve,
>
> It is a problem that has been considered by Paul Johnston in his
> contribution to my TEAMS edition of the York plays. His results are
> tentative, and he hopes eventually to do a book on the topic. I
> personally after editing the plays suspect a number of hands involved
> rather than a single "York Master," but I don't have the linguistic
> expertise that Paul has.
>
> Cliff

Pamela M King
Professor of Medieval Studies,
Deputy Head of Research,
Director of the Centre for Medieval Studies,
School of Humanities
University of Bristol,
11 Woodland Road,
Bristol. BS8 1TB