From: Linda <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: back, neck and leg pain
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2012 14:09:08 -0800

I would appreciate some input from other people with Parkinson's in regard to the issue of pain. I have been told that I have degenerative disk disease with a narrowing of the spinal column in the lumbar area. I was also told that my left knee was bone on bone in 2006 and would need a replacement sometime in the future. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia in 1997's and diagnosed with Parkinson's disease in May of 2010.

It seems like there are so many factors that I am very hesitant to do or have done any invasive measures such as knee replacement or back surgery because I feel like it will not resolve enough of the pain issues to be worth the risk and the attempted rehabilitation. The neurologist I have just been seeing recently made the statement that the pain would not be from Parkinson's. I'm not sure if she thinks that pain is not a part of the disease or that she feels that the pain I described wouldn't be from the disease. My current back pain appeared to become acute after swimming a few days in a row. It felt very good in the water to twist and turn my body but after that, movement became more difficult than my pain level increased radically.

It was very helpful to be on this list and receive the information about briefings through the Parkinson's organization. I was able to get the briefing on Parkinson's and pain and found that most informative. I plan to be reviewing many of those articles. The recent stem cell article was also very interesting.

I would appreciate any input from others as to their experiences and thoughts on the little bit of information that I have given here.

Thanks, Linda