Nigel,
Do the falls happen despite the walker or when you are transferring from
the walker to a chair or a bed?  You are fortunate that you have not had a
major injury till now.  My husband, Prem, has also fallen several times and
has had serious injuries, including fractures on 4 occasions.  He does not
use a walker and uses a cane only if we go out of the house.  I am usually
with him when we go out, so am able to look out for potential trouble areas

There seem to be several reasons for his falls - balance difficulties,
misjudging the depth of stairs, sudden rapid involuntary movement. I have
noticed that his falls have happened whenever he has not been able to
steady himself by holding on to something.  I have tried to forestall
further falls by putting up handles or having a piece of furniture for him
to hold on to in case he feels unsteady.    I have also removed all rugs
and carpets, which can be dangerous for him.  We just have bare floors.  He
too has become careful, walking slowly and watchfully, or getting up from a
sitting position with concentration.  Other than that, I am afraid I do not
have any advice.

Do hope you can find a solution that works for you.

Moneesha