This is going to sound ridiculous to some of you...

I have a background of past activity at a martial arts school, or "dojo",
specifically Nihon Goshin Aikido. At the beginning of every class, we would
actually practice falling. We had very specific procedures for front-fall,
side-fall, back-fall. And we would do it a lot. It was essential to do this,
because Aikido includes a lot of throwing moves, like Judo, so we could
count on hitting the deck several dozen times per class.

I am very fortunate to have had this training, albeit before my diagnosis in
2001. It was a very good way to develop awareness of my body and its
balance, vulnerability, strength, and it gave me a tough inner core,
tempered in lessons under a quite demanding sensei, or teacher.

Now, I would never suggest that PWP all sign on with a martial arts academy.
And I would also suggest maximum caution and collaboration with physical
therapist, doctor, sensei, personal assistant, mom, dad, cousin Ralph and
everybody else you can think of. And further, I only suggest this to those
who are ready, physically and emotionally, to enter into this kind of study.
And all the disclaimers apply doubly. I don't know what I am talking about
in any case. I would not ever represent myself as an authority on anything
except playing rock n roll on the piano. And even that can be dangerous!
But...

But yes, you are hearing me correctly. I am indeed suggesting that, since
you do it so often, make a study of falling. I certainly would never have
survived the aikido school without the knowledge I gained there. And there
have been times when the habits gained at aikido school saved my ass
literally. (head, back, knees, elbows, etc.)

With respect,
Rick