-----Original Message-----
From: Parkinson's Information Exchange Network
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of mschild
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 6:30 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Falling....help please

> It's actually a humorous and instructive way to describe it.
Yes, one that stuck in my mind at least even after so many years. We were
told that during my physiotherapy  training whilst decomposing the walk
movements and it is true.
Learning to fall properly is a good idea but unfortunately one would have to
keep up with it all one“s life so it becomes a reflex and an automatism.
Automatic movements remain a long time in PD but most of the time, people
did judo or other such sports in their youth or young adulthood and this
falling reflex has gone by the time they have PD.
And you don“t always fall where you have enough space, like in a dojo.
John for a long time felt comfortable with 2 canes, the outdoor hiking type
which help keep a normal movement.  People always walks better on their own
rather then “helped“ by someone who tends to push-restrain rather then
really help.Then he had to have a walker indoors and the Ustep was the best
choice.

maryse