Dear Gerard (and all),

I am happy to report that my book has just come out! I include below a flyer with discount code as well as the relevant bibliographic citation and summary. Many thanks for your work on the MRDS newsletter.

Best,
Erika

Erika T. Lin, Shakespeare and the Materiality of Performance (New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2012)

Many unspoken assumptions permeated the experience of performance in Shakespeare's theatre. Drawing on scientific treatises, murder pamphlets, travel narratives, dream manuals, religious sermons, festive sports, and other fascinating primary sources, Lin reconstructs playgoers' typical ways of thinking and feeling and demonstrates how these culturally-trained habits of mind shaped not only dramatic narratives but also the presentational dynamics of onstage action. Combining literary criticism, theatre history, and performance theory, this ground-breaking study explodes received ideas about mimesis, spectacle, and semiotics as it uncovers the ways in which early modern performance functioned as a material medium, revising and producing social attitudes and practices.

PART I. PERFORMANCE EFFECTS

	INTRODUCTION. Materializing the Immaterial
	CHAPTER 1. Theorizing Theatrical Privilege: Rethinking Weimann's Concepts of Locus and Platea

PART II. THEATRICAL WAYS OF KNOWING

	CHAPTER 2. Staging Sight: Visual Paradigms and Perceptual Strategies in Love's Labor's Lost
	CHAPTER 3. Imaginary Forces: Allegory, Mimesis, and Audience Interpretation in The Spanish Tragedy

PART III. EXPERIENCING EMBODIED SPECTACLE

	CHAPTER 4. Dancing and Other Delights: Spectacle and Participation in Doctor Faustus and Macbeth
	CHAPTER 5. Artful Sport: Violence, Dismemberment, and Games in Titus Andronicus, Cymbeline, and Doctor Faustus

--
Erika T. Lin
Assistant Professor

Now available from Palgrave Macmillan:
SHAKESPEARE AND THE MATERIALITY OF PERFORMANCE
http://us.macmillan.com/shakespeareandthematerialityofperformance/ErikaTLin