   From: Anna Groundwater <[log in to unmask]>

   Subject: Giants in Pontefract in August 1618

Ben Jonson was surrounded by dancing giants in Pontefract on Sunday 9
August 1618. We are trying to  understand why - was this a festival he
ran into, or was it laid on for him. There are a number of
possibilities:

1. Giants came out for Midsummer festivals, but August seems too late
for this?

2. St Dominic's feast day is the 8 August, and there had previously
been a Dominican friary in Pontefract - but I think that 1618 is too
late for a connection here?

3. The other possibility is that it was related to a licorice festival
- has anyone heard of such things taking place as early as 1618?

Dr Anna Groundwater,
Ben Jonson's Walk to Scotland,
English Literature, University of Edinburgh,
David Hume Tower,
Edinburgh EH8 9JX.

E-mail: [log in to unmask]

http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departments/literatures-languages-cultures/english-literature/research-activities/ben-jonson-walk-scotland/about