Hello,

I work on archives and records of the Scottish 16C.  I've not directly
come across this phrase, but the Dictionary of the Older Scottish tongue
does record similar things.  eg:

'Thai byd display thar baneris owt of faldis'

'To four men ... to  fald  and lay up the arres werk' (1505 Treas. Acc.
III. 162)

'Blak gray to lay betwix the fawlis of the claith of gold' (1539 Treas.
Acc. VII. 187)

'That it [sc. the plaiding] be presented onli treinched or layed in
plyes or faldis' (1629 Conv. Burghs III. 283)

See http://www.dsl.ac.uk/dsl/

under DOST 1. Fald, n.

They seem to give some support to either of your meanings!

Sarah

--
Sarah Carpenter
English Literature

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.