From: Parkinson's Information Exchange Network [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Rick McGirr [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Saturday, February 23, 2013 4:16 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Musical people with Parkinson's

Hello, everyone.

I'll start with a re-introduction, since I've mostly been lurking the last
few years. My name is Rick McGirr. I was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease
in 2001 and have been a perpetual pill-popper ever since. I don't know how
many different drugs I have tried, but it has to be at least a dozen. I
presently take Sinemet 50/200 and Stalevo 150 mg three times per day, and
Parcopa as needed, most typically when I am in the middle of my more active
days. I also take vitamins and fiber supplements. And how could I forget
those wonderful anti-depressants?

I would like to strike up a conversation among those of you who might
classify yourselves as musicians at any level, amateur or professional. I am
a lifelong musician, and have been playing piano and other keyboard
instruments professionally since graduating from high school in 1971. I
developed my playing to a high level, and have had a certain amount of my
skills taken from me by PD over the last ten years. I continue to play in
public, but I don't move as much equipment, or play as often or as far away
as I used to.

My motives in starting this conversation are to compare notes regarding the
ways PD affects your musicianship, to talk about difficulties peculiar to
musicians with PD, to learn what techniques and accommodations you use in
the process of performing in public, and especially to meet musicians who
have undergone DBS surgery. I'd like to hear what you musicians have been
through, what you found about your technique and musicianship, and I'd like
to find out if having the DBS surgery has helped you regain some of your
musical skills.

As my symptoms continue to develop and become more difficult to deal with,
that little voice that's always in my head speaks a little louder: "You
could always go for DBS!" I feel like I still want to wait a long time
before having this procedure, just to keep myself from suffering any of the
discomforts and known side effects of DBS, but here is where I could use
your input - am I being too cautious? Is there a big payoff in your musical
abilities which resulted when you had the surgery? Are you less than totally
happy about the effects of DBS surgery on your musicality? If there was
initial improvement, was it followed by more improvement, or has your
condition back-tracked?

I appreciate your consideration. Thanks in advance for your replies.