Ray,

I would not be the one to say you missed anything! Thank you so much for these informative articles, and thanks for sharing your personal experience. There certainly is a lot of research going on, in PD as well as finding new uses for DBS. Fascinating.

Rick

-----Original Message-----
From: Parkinson's Information Exchange Network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Rayilyn Brown
Sent: Saturday, March 02, 2013 4:36 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Benefits of DBS/Rick

Rick

DBS is now used for clinical depression   (with different brain target than
subthalmic nucleus).  Oddly, I don't get  depressed.

I opted for earlier rather than later, as any major surgery is harder on a person as  you get older, but I have not yet encountered studies which address this issue.

DBS has not helped stiffness, poor balance, loss of fine motor skills (I too have chronic runny nose!!), etc. like it did tremor which drove me nuts.

I feel like I'm strangling when I try to speak and people can't understand
me.   This is especially frustrating because people don't really understand
why I don't use  the telephone.  The  medical jury is still out as to whether this is due to PD or DBS.  I could probably find out by turning my NTs off, but don't dare.

As to loss of mental acuity, I started doing crosswords after DBS and Mom died between surgeries (she did crosswords).  Again, don't know of any studies re this.  I  feel mentally sharper.

And, don't know what I'd be  like after 17 years PD with no meds without DBS.  It was worth it.

If I've missed anything email me again.