> my  computer guy told me about this, if  it  has to be squeezed it would be
> worse.  what  kind of effort is required? is it heavy?

there are different types, different sizes. Some you hold in your hand but
others are stable on the table and you move its ball with your palm.  devices
are big and clicking buttons are big on either side .  Some also have a ribbed
scroll ring.You could perhaps try one or two at the shop but my guess is the
bigger the better.
Have a look at: http://www.iu.hio.no/~frodes/unitech10/026-Begnum/index.html

I don't have PD but have a Kensington Orbit with scroll ring for my laptop.
Not expensive and very stable

maryse