On Mar 15, 2013, at 2:18 AM, Rayilyn Brown wrote:

> John
>
> I've been using Theracycle almost 2 years now.  I had to quit for 2 months after my bout with thigh pain around  Xmas and  New Years.  I 'm back now to and hour and 30 minutes daily 7 mph rather than my  regular  2 hours  11 mph.  I 'm addicted to it and felt I was  much worse when I had to stop using it.  I watch TV while I cycle.  I  highly recommend it.
>
> -----Original Message----- From: JOHN YOCHIM
> Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2013 4:37 PM
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: preventing falls
>
> Rayilyn, Thanks for the link on preventing falls. Luckily, I haven't had a fall..l yet, but came close. Recently I became aware of a treatment that involved using a device called a Theracycle. The researchers at the Cleveland clinec did some work  on this and it is shown on a video clip on U Tube. If their claims are correct, after using this cycle for a short period of time, the major PD symptoms disappear for up to a month. It is forced exercise as the cycle is driven by an electric motor. I am wondering if any of the folks on the list serv had experienced this and if so, did it modify their symptoms. If I remember correctly, I can reach all of the list serv members by sending the message to [log in to unmask] I do thank you for the good work you do in informing all of us on PD information. I dont know how you manage to do it, but we all certainly thankyou.
> -
I used a Theracycle for a few days last year. It runs at a maximum 16 mph - a speed I could already reach for short distances. So I returned the Theracycle to the manufacturer and
bought a used tandem bike made by Burley. since then (November 2012) I and 4 volunteers have been using the tandem three times a week. We are trying to duplicate the study
of "forced exercise"directed by Dr. Alpert at The Cleveland Clinic. He advised us to try riding 40 minutes at a cadence of approximately 85 rpm. We ride three times a week. Sometimes that 40 minutes
can really wear me out. Other days I go home and ride the bicycle in my living room. http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/04/24/bike-riding-helps-parkinsons-patients-ease-their-symptoms/

Steve from
Brattleboro