From: "Douglas Allan Brent" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, April 3, 2013 9:33:10 PM GMT -07:00 US/Canada Mountain
Subject: Call for committee volunteers and nominations for CASDW awards

Hi all,

I am posting to a couple of lists plus the 2012 CASDW membership list, so some of you may see this two or three times -- apologies.

In 2011, we voted to offer a small award for the best dissertation by a student in a Canadian program and the best article by a CASDW member, in the field of rhetoric, writing studies, or discourse studies. We are now trying to put this into operation, at something of the last minute.

The terms of reference are attached. Basically we need two committees of three people each to choose the recipients. It would require not only reading the materials but also doing a bit of bushes-beating to try to identify eligible articles and students. We would love to be able to present the awards at the upcoming conference, so there will be a bit of a scramble. However, given the still nascent state of writing studies in Canada, I suspect that the corpus may be rather small. The executive is willing to pitch in an help with the bushes-beating part, although we want the committee to feel completely autonomous in their selection.

So right now I am asking for two things:

1. If you are a CASDW member or are prepared to become one, would you consider being on one or other of the committees? You could volunteer for one or the other, or just say that you will be on whichever one is short a member.

2. Whether you are a CASDW member or not, if you know of good articles by Canadian writing studies folks, or good dissertations (or any dissertations -- the committee can make the final call) by either students from anywhere in Canadian programs or Canadian students studying anywhere, can you let us know asap?

If you know of a good article by a Canadian and you are not sure if they are a member of CASDW, please let us know anyway and we’ll figure it out. We are not too proud to suggest to someone that they become a member in order to have a shot at the award. J Also, don’t be too proud to bring your own article or star student to our attention.

Thanks in advance for your support. This is a good opportunity to help promote our field and help aspiring students and researchers (aspiring or seasoned) make more of a mark in that field.

Please reply to [log in to unmask]

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- To leave the list, send a SIGNOFF CASLL-L command to [log in to unmask] or, if you experience difficulties, write to Russ Hunt at [log in to unmask]

--
---