Greetings.

A while back, there was some discussion about trouble using pointing devices with PCs due to tremors,  dyskinesia and stiffness related to PD.  I looked around a bit and stumbled upon an eye-tracking system that can be installed on a desktop or laptop PC, made by Tobii.  It just so happens that there is a distributor two hours from where I live (Upstate NY), so I arranged for a demonstration one day last week.

The primary goal is to give non-verbal people (e.g., multiple handicapped students) a means to communicate.  As was pointed out in the discussion threads, not being able to use a pointing device amounts to almost the same thing: it’s almost impossible to use the internet.  As was also pointed out in some other threads, voice-recognition software is not always the answer as PWPs’ voices and enunciation can change depending on the day.

The system is comprised of a camera unit that attaches to the bottom of your monitor, and software.  The cameras “watch” your eyes to see where on the screen you are looking.  Once you fix your gaze on a spot for a given amount of time (adjustable), the software “selects” the item you were looking at just as if you had clicked a mouse button.  The communication application puts a keyboard on the screen so that you can “write” with your eyes.  It supposedly interfaces with resident email applications to allow you to send the text as an email.  The basic eye tracking software will allow you to use anything you have on your PC, just as if you were using a mouse or other pointing device.

I was impressed by the ease of use and features built into the software.  It is reasonably tolerant of normal head movements, and will put a small display on the screen to prompt you to return to the original position, should you stray.  It works just fine with glasses (I wear them myself).  The seating position was very normal and comfortable.

The expected down side is the cost: a typical system for use on a desktop is around $4000.  I was told that, if the user is non-verbal, some health plans will pay part or all of the cost.  Tobii is not the only manufacturer, but from what I’ve read, they seem to be the best.  As this technology has only fairly recently come on to the consumer market, it will likely become more affordable in the next year or two.  If interested, you can find out more at TobiiATI.com, including where the nearest distributor might be.

BTW: I have no interest, economic or otherwise, in Tobii or anyone else associated with these systems.  I just like cool stuff, especially if it can help people.

Roger Seymour