APDA Newsletter

From: American Parkinson Disease Association
Sent: Wednesday, July 10, 2013 8:00 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: A sweet treatment for Parkinson's, and more news!

                  Home | Related Links | News & Updates | Donate

           Dear Rayilyn,

                  As we celebrate our nation’s independence this month, grateful for our personal freedoms, we also remember friends and family members who’ve had to surrender some of their physical liberties to Parkinson’s disease.

                  But, thanks to the kindness of people like you, Rayilyn, there is cause for celebration as dedicated scientists race toward a cure!

                  For that, I can’t thank you enough.

                  You offer real solace and hope for the 1.5 million Americans with Parkinson’s disease every time you make a gift to American Parkinson Disease Association (APDA).

                  Summer is also the perfect time to let friends in on the good news! Please spread the word as you share this e-newsletter now.

                  Lighting the Way to Freedom from Parkinson's,

                  Leslie A. Chambers
                  President and CEO
                  American Parkinson Disease Association

                  P.S. Our annual report is now available! Check it out to see what we've accomplished in the last year, and our vision for the future.

                  *****

                        Support Freedom from All Symptoms

                        With your help, researchers will hit upon the solution to Parkinson’s disease! Re-charge the cause with your special gift of $35, $50 or $75 now!

                  APDA News & Updates
                  Sniffing Around for a Biomarker
                  People age 60 and over who have not been diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease are encouraged to take part in a smell survey, investigating the link between this disease and the sense of smell. Hoping to zero in on a biomarker, researchers need 10,000 participants to sign up for the study by calling 1-877-525-7764 or completing an online survey.

                  High Iron Levels May Lower Parkinson’s Risk
                  New research from Italy suggests that increased iron levels in the blood are associated with a reduced risk for developing Parkinson’s disease. Though the research demonstrates that iron may have a protective effect against Parkinson’s, the reason for this effect remains unclear.

                  Pesticide-Parkinson’s Link Strengthened
                  Studies continue to link exposure to solvents and pesticides with the incidence of Parkinson’s disease. APDA’s Center for Advanced Research at UCLA School of Medicine has been a pioneer in linking environmental factors to Parkinson's disease. Research indicates that people exposed to bug killers and weed sprays have a 33 to 80 percent higher chance of developing the disease, compared to people who were not exposed.

                  The Sweet Taste of Treatment
                  Mannitol, a plant-based sweetener used in gum, candies and jams, has been shown to block production of a Parkinson's-related protein, according to a new study in the Journal of Biological Chemistry. Researchers believe that combining mannitol with other Parkinson's medications may help the other treatments break through the blood/brain barrier.

                  Gearing Up For World Parkinson Congress
                  Cutting-edge research will be presented at the third World Parkinson Congress, slated for October 1-4, 2013, in Montreal, Canada. Organizers project that Parkinsonians and their caregivers will make up one-third of all conference participants. Don’t miss your opportunity to be part of a truly global conversation about Parkinson’s. Click here to register.

                  Midsummer Dreaming for Parkinsonians
                  Though the warm sunshine of midsummer beckons us all outdoors, many Parkinsonians can only dream of doing the things they once enjoyed!

                  Dare to help restore what was lost as you drive toward the cure with your generous gift of $35... $50... $75... or more to APDA now!

                        Copyright © 2013 | American Parkinson Disease Association | All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy
                        135 Parkinson Avenue | Staten Island, NY 10305 | Tel. (800) 223-2732 | www.apdaparkinson.org

                        If you prefer not to receive APDA e-mail correspondence, please unsubscribe here.

                 The American Parkinson Disease Association, Inc. was founded in 1961 to "Ease the Burden - Find a Cure" for Parkinson's disease. Headquartered in New York, the organization focuses its energies on research, patient support, education and raising public awareness of Parkinson's disease.

                  If you received this message from a friend and would like to sign up to receive our newsletters, please click here.