I visited my cousin, Barb, in Cleveland over the past two days.  Barb had been diagnosed with PD some time ago and hadn't been doing well.  Her gross motor function, particularly on her left side, had been compromised to the point where she was having some difficulty walking.  When I saw her on Tuesday I was shocked.  She looked almost entirely asymptomatic.   I knew she had been enrolled in a study at the Cleveland Clinic which involved tandem cycling and that she was feeling much better.  However, the improvement I saw was stunning.  She wrote this little over-view which she said I could share - so here it is.
---------
Mary Ann (CG Jamie 68/28 with PD, died 11/20/07)
    I had a great discussion with the researcher with whom I work at the Cleveland Clinic research facility.  She explained that the premise of Dr. Albert’s study is not only to regain function for those of us with PD, but they see some preliminary results that point to the fact that the cycling slows or even stops disease progression in some patients like me with milder symptoms.  Others within my group have a harder time maintaining the speed required as they exercise less due to more serious symptoms  (On days I do not cycle I usually take a fairly aggressive water aerobics class, so I came to the study with good stamina.).

    There is some evidence that the cycling can be as effective as medication in addressing symptoms and can possibly regenerate some of the damaged nerves.  The trial includes stroke patients as well.  While I understand that:

    ·        My understanding is limited, given my non-medical background.

    ·        There are many more tests to run and data to collect, including many of us undergoing per and post training MRIs to evaluate changes in the brain due to the cycling.

    She advised against firms that often advertise to PD patients as their stationary cycles promote passive exercise.  The trick of the trial in which I am involved is to get me to the 90-92 rpm range on my own power, with some machine assist (or a fellow tandem rider), while staying within my heart range (117-130).  When I complete the study and evaluation, they will give me an exercise prescription that I will share with you so you can tell your PD friends.

    Exciting stuff!!!

    Barbara

    216-554-9100

Barb Belovich