Sandy,
Thanks for reading the piece and writing to the list about it. Sounds like your focus on audience and readers is well-developed in your writing courses.

Just a note: few if any of the 2000 assignments and hundreds of courses we've looked at in those studies are drawn from writing courses. they are from various faculties and departments across the curriculum, so they represent what you labelled "other departments" above. One interesting point from the studies has been that most assignments outside writing courses, at present, do not mention audience. I think that is something that needs to change, and that is part of why I wrote this article. Maybe you could forward the article to some administrators in those other departments to generate interest in thinking about the writing they ask their students to do in their programmes of study?

Roger

On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 8:21 AM, Sandy Dorley <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Nice article, Roger.  And I'm happy to report that while the universities may fall short, the colleges seem to have some things in line.  Here at Conestoga College, in both our diploma courses and in the bachelor degree courses, we follow the pedagogy which focuses on teaching audience as a construct--something beyond the teacher and which requires that the students think about who really will read the things they write.  We acknowledge that they start off looking at "teacher as audience" but try to help them move forward.  We also tell all of our writing faculty to stop focusing on teaching grammar in isolation as a way to get through the hour but to contextualize it--have students go back and look at the errors in their papers and try to understand why they made them . . . and why they're errors.

But that message certainly doesn't extend to other departments who keep pushing the traditional ways, nor to administration which places all writing courses in the first semester of the first year of a 4 year degree or 3 year diploma--and then wonders why they aren't better writers at the end of it all.  Thanks for another cogent and pointed attempt to try to move things in writing instruction.

Sandy

-----Original Message-----
From: casll-l: Canadian Association for the Study of Language and Learning (Inkshed) [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Russ Hunt
Sent: September-11-13 5:13 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: University Affairs article on student writing

Nobody will be surprised to hear a distant voice from the Maritimes cheering at this sentence:

"However, our data shows that instructors across the university rarely ask students to write for any audience other than the instructor."

I also, of course, made agreeing noices at this comment: "It is a complex topic, but the upshot is that teaching traditional school grammar outside the context of student composing doesn't lead to better quality written products."

(I guess it does lead to people knowing that, um, "data" was a plural noun in Latin . . . )

-- Russ

> A short piece i wrote for University Affairs on student writing came
> online today:
>
> http://www.universityaffairs.ca/Article.aspx?id=112086
>
> The comment area at the bottom might be a good way to extend or
> elaborate this conversation.
>
> Roger Graves
> --
> Roger Graves
> Director, Writing Across the Curriculum University of Alberta
> www.ualberta.ca/~graves1

Russ Hunt
Department of English
St. Thomas University
http://www.stu.ca/~hunt/

--
Roger Graves
Director, Writing Across the Curriculum
University of Alberta
www.ualberta.ca/~graves1
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- To leave the list, send a SIGNOFF CASLL-L command to [log in to unmask] or, if you experience difficulties, write to Russ Hunt at [log in to unmask]