On 16 October 2013 13:59, Amanda Goldrick-Jones, PhD <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hi Theresa,

At SFU, our writing services are offered as part of the Student Learning Commons, established in 2006. We have space for SLCs at all three of our campuses, in each case housed within the library. The SLC Head reports to the Associate University Librarian (Learning and Research). At our Burnaby and Surrey campuses, staff offices are also located in the SLC, and appointments are conducted in an adjacent dedicated open space with moveable tables/chairs, computer station, etc. At the Vancouver campus, where real estate's at a premium(!), we have a dedicated consultation/workshop space, but that SLC is staffed part-time; there's no permanent SLC staff office.

When I arrived in 2006, SFU had not had a student writing centre for some years, but the Writing Intensive Learning Office was offering support for faculty teaching writing-intensive courses. Nowadays, support for W courses is provided within specific departments or faculties.

As for why the SLC was placed within the library, the intention was to make it a nexus for all forms of academic support--part of a larger SFU plan in 2005-06. This article might also provide some background: http://www.sfu.ca/archive-sfunews/sfu_news/archives/sfunews09080609.shtml

Since the SLC is mandated to offer consultations not just for writing but also for learning issues (e.g. time management, exam strategies, effective reading), there are two learning as well as two writing services coordinators, along with one English as Additional Language coordinator, who focuses mainly on spoken/conversational skills. These are all full-time staff positions. We also hire about 5 - 6 part-time graduate students from multiple disciplines--all with previous experience teaching or tutoring writing--who offer consultations and provide some online writing support. As well, we have over 20 undergraduates serving as peer consultants; they volunteer during their first semester and receive an honorarium in subsequent terms. Both writing and learning services coordinators train and mentor the peers.

Also FYI, the coordinators in the SLC are classed as administrative/professional staff, not faculty or librarians. I believe this is a legacy from the time when (except for library services), most academic support for students was located in Health and Counselling.

Hope this is helpful and not a case of "TMI"!

~Amanda

P.S. If you're wondering why I'm "speaking for" SFU, I rejoined the student learning commons in July (after 5 years at UBC) as the second writing services coordinator.

====