Hi Theresa,

Here at Wilfrid Laurier, our writing centre is part of Learning Services (LS; soon to be re-named the Student Success Centre). LS is home to Learning/Study Skills, Central Academic Advising & Transition services, Accessible Learning, and Math Help Centre. Each of these services has a manager and we report to the Director of LS, who reports to the VP Teaching & Learning. The main benefit we see to not being part of an academic unit is that the majority of our funding comes from the Student Union which is happy to support student services.  If we were part of the Faculty of Arts, for instance, there is a good chance we might be seeing cuts.

At one time the writing centre was housed on the second floor of the library. Currently we are spread over different spaces, with the writing centre sharing space with Central Academic Advising in the Faculty of Arts building. We are located on the main floor, not far from the student concourse and bookstore (good visibility). There is a plan for new buildings and we will supposedly then be moved together into a new Learning Commons (again outside of the library).

In the meantime, space is tight here (as it seems to be everywhere).  We have an office for me, one for our writing consultant, two small tutoring rooms, and a shared waiting/drop-in area. We are facing a possible temporary relocation and I hope we can expand our space -- fingers crossed! Sharing our current space with other services has some benefits (collegiality, broadened understanding of student issues) along with some problems (incompatible environment/office atmospheres, juggling of space, mixed messages re services offered).  If I had a choice, I would prefer a space that is clearly delineated or separate from, but adjoining, other services.

Hope this helps.
Boba

BOBA SAMUELS
Manager, Writing Centre
DAWB 1-102

WILFRID LAURIER UNIVERSITY
75 University Avenue W.
Waterloo, ON  N2L 3C5
T: 519-884-0710, ext. 3869
www.wlu.ca/writing

Thanks, Doug.  It does seem that most of us are not consulted when these moves take place.  Everybody seems to think that they know better than you do how to organize a Writing Centre ----- success with student engagement and faculty satisfaction notwithstanding!  I do need to know more about the details of the move and the barriers that Brenda faced with the move.  Thanks again and I'll report back to the group when I get some more information.  Theresa.