It does look to me as though the Daily Mail story comes more or less
directly from a press release. Unusually it seems to be accurate! The
socket' is actually a port for delivery of the drug, and is a lot less
disturbing than older methods of drug delivery to the brain which involved
implanted pump devices. In this trial the pump is external to the patient,
who simply has to turn up for an infusion once monthly. It also may not be
the final design if the trial is successful. Technology moves on fast, and
so does neuro-imaging, and it is hard to predict what developments will
come out of this. It is one among many different trials happening, all of
which are advancing understanding. We just have to wait and hope.