My husband had DBS surgery in 2006.  It was a miracle turnaround and lasted for 5 years.  After 5 years we saw increasing symptoms and steady decline.  In addition, hs speech was effected by the surgery initially but now it is much worse.  DBS was great for us and gave us a renewed gift on life but it does not solve the problem of having this disease over time... BTW he has diagnosed with parkinsons in 1987 at 35 yrs old.