New! Southwestern Ontario listserv (WS-SWO)

If you are involved in any kind of higher education writing support and instruction in the southwestern Ontario region, consider joining your colleagues in a new community of practice: Writing Support - Southwestern Ontario (WS-SWO).

Our purpose is to share ideas, expertise, experiences, and opportunities with people in neighbouring institutions who provide the same kinds of writing support and instruction. Of course, the best way to connect is in person: 2013 was the setting for two very productive get-togethers—at Guelph in June and Waterloo in November. We enjoyed information sharing, discussion, and brainstorming about everything from practical programming ideas to the larger political and social issues we face in our profession.

Let’s keep the conversation going!

To stay in touch between meetings and to find out about future opportunities to connect, we’ve created the WS-SWO listserv (instructions below). There are no membership fees! Feel free to post to the listserv whenever you have information or questions to share with colleagues. If you have any questions or problems, Kim Garwood at Guelph would be glad to help:
[log in to unmask] or 519-824-4120 ext. 56350.

To join the listserv:

Email
[log in to unmask] and in the body of the message type this command:

subscribe ws-swo Your Name (e.g., Joe Smith)

To post to the listserv:

Address your email to [log in to unmask]

To unsubscribe:

Email
[log in to unmask] and in the body of the message type this command:

unsubscribe ws-swo Your Name (e.g., Joe Smith)

Right now our energies have turned to preparing for the upcoming conference season. Note that our region will be hosting three major events in May. You’ll want to attend them all!

CWCA (Canadian Writing Centres Association) – Brock University, May 23 http://cwcaaccr.wordpress.com/

CASDW (Canadian Association for Studies in Discourse and Writing) – Congress 2014 Brock University, May 24 – 26  http://casdwacr.wordpress.com/about/

Inkshed 30 (CASLL – Canadian Association for Studies in Language and Learning) – University of Waterloo, May 27 – 29 You can find the call for proposals here: http://www.inkshed.ca/blog/conferences/inkshed-30-call-for-proposals/

We’ll share details on the WS-SWO listserv as we get them. Sign up soon!

All the best for 2014!

Judi Jewinski

Special Advisor to the Provost on

English Language Competency

Needles Hall

University of Waterloo

200 University Avenue West

Waterloo ON  N2L 3G1

519-888-4567 ext. 37895

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- To leave the list, send a SIGNOFF CASLL-L command to [log in to unmask] or, if you experience difficulties, write to Russ Hunt at [log in to unmask]