I didn't know John well, though (as I have said elsewhere) I frequently
recall him suggesting at the Leeds conference that REED should be REEE --
Records of Early English Everything.

And I will always treasure dinners (and lots of scotch) with Barbara at the
'zoo.  She was ever cracking wise (in both senses).  She taught me how to
run a seminar at my very first SAA when I was a lowly graduate student;
unlike many, she was always supportive, never condescending -- though she
could deliver a tongue-blistering rant on those of whom she though little!

We'll miss them both, and their spirits will celebrate every REED
achievement to come, I'm sure.

Best,
Suzanne
łNo, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical.˛  ~Niels Bohr