> How's that work ?

I don't know but it reminds me of a  time  long ago during my physio
training years. A colleague used to walk with a PWP every day along the
corridor of the hospital every morning. It was hard going, with a walker.
Until one day there was a fire scare in the electro department ( turned out
just a lof of smoke) and we were stunned to see this elderly PWP run alone
along the passage shouting in a loud voice: Help! women and old people
first.

No need to say he lost his voice and ability to walk as soon as someone
told him there was no danger.

It is a fact that freezing can be unblocked by a very sudden stimulus, the
same reason a PWP will be able to step over a sudden obstacle ( hence the
laser or the stick with a bit sticking out) but the effect wears off if
used too often.

Must be linked with different brain circuits being used to start the
movement.

maryse