From: REED-L: Records of Early English Drama Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of WILLIAM F LYONS
Sent: Wednesday, May 07, 2014 2:28 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Theatre Band Research Fellowship

Dear REED members,

I have recently been awarded a two year Leverhulme Research Fellowship for a project entitled:

Silver Sounds & Moody Food: Theatre Bands and Their Music 1575-1645

Needless to say I am delighted that the proposal was accepted, and look forward to officially beginning on June 1st this year. It will serve greatly to enhance the work I have undertaken at the Shakespeare's Globe Theatre and with my period music ensembles.

Whilst a major aspect of the research is to experiment with practical considerations of ensemble type, size, context and performance locale with the aim of establishing a repertoire of contemporary music that may well have been used in plays, I am hoping to begin the process of compiling a data base of all references to and instructions for music in plays performed [mostly in English and in London theatres] during the period stated. Obviously I’m aware that this is a huge undertaking and cannot be completed in the period of the research project, but intend to make considerable progress during this time. I am aware of the excellent work and online Music in Shakespeare site of Christopher Wilson and others but I am interested to know of accessible collections and online resources that may be of use.

Any advice or recommendations as to how best to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

William Lyons

Leverhulme Research Fellow

William Lyons