In his treatise "What is Inkshedding," Russ Hunt traces the origins of the
term "inkshed," noting that his favorite use of the term is Carlyle's: "With
no bloodshed . . . but with immense beershed and inkshed." (
http://www.stu.ca/~hunt/whatshed.htm)

Partially inspired by this turn of phrase, we have selected as the location
for Inkshed 31 The *Mill Street Brew Pub*, 555 Wellington St. Ottawa (
http://ottawa.millstreetbrewpub.ca/). Located on the banks of the Ottawa
River, a 15 minute walk from the Parliament buildings in downtown Ottawa,
the Mill Street Brew Pub is rated as #98 of 2158 restaurants in Ottawa (
http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review-g155004-d2515009-Reviews-Mill_St_Brew_Pub_Ottawa-Ottawa_Ontario.html
).

There is plenty of free parking, and the walking and bicycling paths that
lead from downtown Ottawa pass right by the front door. There is also space
to sit outside, write, and relax as you work on whatever you happen to be
writing on *May 28, 2015*. The upstairs conference room has many windows
and flexible seating to allow us to gather in either small or large groups,
as we see fit. There are also some nooks and crannies that would enable you
to work on your own should the need arise. And yes, there is free wireless.

So in these last moments of calm before the tide turns and the academic
year of classes, commitments, and meetings descends upon us all, I hope
you'll keep in mind the oasis that Inkshed 31 offers. Mark the date: *May
28, 2015*! We'll see you on the other side, with whatever writing sustains
you through it all and with camaraderie, good cheer, and good beer.

Roger Graves
Andrea Williams
Deborah Tihanyi
Organizing Committee, Inkshed 31