Hello everyone,

Please take a look at (and circulate) the attached CFP.

Suzanne Blum Malley, Alanna Frost, and I are working on a new edited
collection that aims to examine translingual and translocal teaching
practices globally. More information about the scope of the collection,
chapter length, and timeline can be found in the CFP below. Proposals for
potential chapters are due on February 15, 2015.

 We welcome any queries about potential contributions and the project (our
emails are on the CFP).

We look forward to hearing from many of you,

Julia

Julia Kiernan
Assistant Professor
Department of Writing, Rhetoric, and American Cultures
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI, 48824

*Call for Proposals*

*Practical Pedagogies: Engaging Domestic and International Students in
Translingual & Translocal Writing*

Editors:

Suzanne Blum Malley, Columbia College Chicago

Alanna Frost, University of Huntsville in Alabama

Julia Kiernan, Michigan State University

constructs of translingualism (Horner, Lu), plurilingualism/translingualism
and negotiated literacies (Canagarajah), and the investigations of the
composing strategies of multilingual and English as additional language
(EAL) students in English writing classrooms (Horner, Lu, Matsuda,
Canagarajah, Jordan, Poe Alexander), this project seeks to bring together a
corpus of pedagogical practices based within translingual and translocal
constructs. This collection moves to actualize the “changes being made at
the organizational level to rethink the ways in which English is
represented in U.S. composition teaching, the design of writing programs
and curricula, and the preparations of (future) teachers of postsecondary
writing” (Horner, Necamp, and Donahue). As those familiar with translingual
and translocal scholarship are aware, the development of theory far
surpasses the availability of practical pedagogies. This collection will
fill the pedagogical gap in translingual and translocal scholarship with
its focus on enacted classroom practice. As such, *Practical Pedagogies:
Engaging Domestic and International Students in Translingual & Translocal
Writing *moves to offer a number of tested, practical responses to the
current theoretical discussion and seeks to aid in the development of not
only translingual and translocal teaching, but also our understanding of
the communicative strategies of diverse student writers. The move from
theoretical frameworks to working pedagogies will not only benefit our
students, but better inform the teaching of diverse learners within our
writing classrooms, as well as shape language and educational policies and
research.

Consequently, a primary goal of this collection is to build a rich
description and analysis of the various programs, pedagogies, teachers, and
students that are already successfully composing within translingual and
translocal norms. We seek contributors that represent a diverse
cross-section of teacher-scholars—ranging in expertise (e.g. bridge
programs, FYW, upper level writing, business and science writing, and
multimedia writing), professional status (e.g. pre-service teachers,
graduate students, non-tenured faculty, tenured faculty, and
administrators), and geographic and institutional location (e.g. US-based,
international).  We are working towards a collection that offers a variety
of approaches to and perspectives on translingual and translocal
pedagogies. Proposed chapters can draw on a range of qualitative and
quantitative research methods and methodology to situate the programs,
pedagogies, and composing activities described; including, ethnographies,
case studies, action research, classroom-based research, longitudinal
studies, corpus-based studies, and meta-analyses.  In particular, we are
asking for proposed chapters that consider some of the following
questions/issues:

   1. *US-Based Writing Programs: *What are the goals of US-based writing
   programs that offer courses based within translingual and translocal
   themes? What type of writing courses engage these themes? What populations
   of students enroll in these institutions, and courses?

   1. *International Programs: *How do non-US institutions engage
   translingual and translocal themes? What can we borrow from the pedagogical
   strategies of our international colleagues who teach in *not-monolingual
   *spaces and in *not-composition *classes, but who nonetheless engage
   students in translingual and translocal writing practices?

   1. *Pedagogies aimed at Domestic Multilinguals: *Who are the domestic
   multilinguals that populate our writing courses? What are their linguistic
   abilities? What are their past experiences with language and writing? What
   types of courses are they enrolling in? How have teaching practices shifted
   to serve this population of diverse learners?

   1. *Pedagogies aimed at International Multilinguals: *Who are the
   international multilinguals that populate our writing courses? What are
   their linguistic abilities? What are their past experiences with language
   and writing? What types of courses are they enrolling in? How have teaching
   practices shifted to serve this population of diverse learners?

   1. *Integrative Pedagogies: *How are translingual and translocal
   pedagogies useful to all students, regardless of their linguistic
   backgrounds? Why is it important to employ these pedagogies in classrooms
   of heterogenous student backgrounds?

   1. *Monolingual Teacher Experiences: *How do the experiences of
   monolingual teachers differ from multilingual teachers? Why are these
   experiences valid? What opportunities do monolingual teachers have that are
   not afforded to multilingual teachers?

   1. *Multilingual Teacher Experiences: *How do the experiences of
   multilingual teachers differ from monolingual teachers? What opportunities
   do multilingual teachers have that are not afforded to monolingual
   teachers? What are the implications if the home language(s) of the
   multilingual teacher does not match the home language(s) of his/her
   students? How does multilingual ability aid in the teaching of multilingual
   (and monolingual) students?

   1. *Mentors, Teachers, and Relationships: *How do relationships between
   teachers inform and propagate translingual and translocal pedagogies? Why
   is mentoring important for teachers of translingual and translocal writing?
   What is afforded through mentoring (both to the mentor and mentee)? Why do
   we need mentoring in translingual and translocal pedagogies?

   1. *Students and their Texts: *What can students’ own perceptions of
   their composing processes as they write and think about writing tell us
   about “translingual” composing and how they might relate to
   “translanguaging” or translocal writing? What do the “master narratives”
   (literacy=social/economic/moral mobility) and “little narratives” students
   invoke tell us about translingual and translocal literacies? What is the
   role of “antecedent genre knowledge” in the stories students tell?

We welcome *500 word* proposals that provide a brief narrative of the
chapter’s aims, situate the proposed chapter in existing scholarship,
discuss the approach or methodology, and consider implications for writing
research, pedagogy, or teacher education. If your proposal is accepted,
plan on developing a manuscript between *5000-6000 words *in length.

*Deadline for Proposals: *February 15, 2015. Send as email attachments
(preferably MS Word) with the subject line “Translingual Collection
Proposal” to Suzanne Blum Malley ([log in to unmask]), Alanna Frost (
[log in to unmask]), and Julia Kiernan ([log in to unmask]). Inquiries are
encouraged and welcome.

Notification of Acceptance: April 30, 2015

Manuscripts Due: August 30, 2015

Projected Publication: Spring 2016