Hi All,

SOCAAR is pleased to announce the next SOCAAR Seminar:

Wednesday, February 4, 2015, 3 – 4 PM
200 College Street – WB407

Atmospheric sources and sinks of amines, amides and isocyanic acid (HNCO)

Nadine Borduas
PhD Candidate
Department of Chemistry
University of Toronto

There has been a growing interest in the use of amines as efficient solvents for carbon capture and storage (CCS) technology to minimize CO2 emissions from large industrial processes. Monoethanolamine (MEA) is the current benchmark solvent and so understanding its atmospheric fate is instrumental in implementing CCS. To address this gap, we investigated the reaction of MEA with oxidants like OH radicals and ozone within a smog chamber experimental setup, using online proton-transfer-reaction mass spectrometry. Since, MEA has a lifetime of a few hours in the atmosphere, we focused on characterizing its gas-phase products to further assess the fate of this amine. Formamide is the major oxidation product detected and we provide the first report of its rate coefficient with OH radicals, (4.44 ± 0.46) ´ 10-12 cm3 molec-1 s-1 at room temperature and atmospheric pressure, translating to a lifetime of ~ 1 day.  Other alkylated amides were studied to gain a better understanding of their reactivity trends. A detailed mechanistic study of these amides involving ab initio calculations identified production of isocyanates, including isocyanic acid (HNCO) and methyl isocyanate, two toxic substances, as a major pathway. Current work is now focused on studying the sources and sinks of isocyanic acid.  In particular, recent experiments on the formation of HNCO from cigarette smoke as well as from nicotine oxidation will be presented.

If you are unable to join us for the seminar in person, we will be broadcasting the presentations live during the seminar using GoToMeeting software. Please feel free to join us online using a web-browser or by calling in and using the webviewing software. If you do decide to join us, please remember to mute your microphone.  If you have any questions during the meeting you are welcome to contact me by email, or by using the GoToMeeting chat.

Instructions on how to connect:

Using your web-browser or smartphone
https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/136012909
By telephone.