Dear Inkshed colleagues:

I'm shocked to learn that Wilfrid Laurier University has just terminated
the position of its writing-centre manager Boba Samuels. She was told on
Tuesday that her position was redundant and immediately escorted
off-campus, along with several other staff members in other university
positions.

The former (and now retired) manager Emmy Misser wrote a scathing letter
to a Waterloo newspaper asking the university's president to explain
this decision:
http://www.therecord.com/opinion-story/5474412-an-essential-service/.

Emmy encourages other people in the writing-studies community outside
Laurier to let the administration know that we value writing-centre work
and deplore this cut. She notes that the service is a highly efficient
small operation: "An attack on writing is fundamentally an
anti-intellectual move. Is that what Laurier now is about?"

The contact page for WLU senior administration is
http://wlu.ca/about/senior-leadership/index.html, and a link at the
bottom of the page leads to a Faculty and Staff Directory with a search
function for email addresses. I'm going to write the president Dr. Max
Blouw myself, and hope many others will join me.

Should CASLL as an organization also take this up?

Margaret Procter
(retired) University of Toronto