I’d like to mention a few events at 4Cs for anyone on this listserv who might be going.

I helped to start a new focus at 4Cs on cross-generational relationships and activities. I co-chair a Task Force on Cross-Generational Activities with Christine Tulley, and we will be running a pre-convention Wed. morning cross-generational workshop called “Opportunity, Reflection, and Tactical Foresight: Mapping the Full Spa of Your Career from Graduate School to Post-Retirement.” If anyone is interested, there is still plenty of room. I am excited by this opportunity for people to think about their careers in terms of something other than the next step ahead (and we feel that there is little attention giving to supporting career development after the first job).

Second, there will be a Dialogue among 4 members of different scholarly generations  to discuss the historical and evolving nature of cross-generational networks, institutional and geographical contexts, and work-life balance. (Thursday at 10:30).

Our task force is working on a Scholars Bank to match up people in different generations for various activities, from oral histories and online visits to classes to mentoring and collaboration.

Third, I am chair of a Special Interest Group meeting on Thursday night for “Senior, Late-Career, and Retired Professionals in RhetComp/Writing Studies.” This group, originally just for retirees, started the X-Gen project, and this year we are trying to reorganize it to meet the needs and goals of people from senior/late career to post-retirement.

I would be happy to have you forward this message to other Canadian listservs.

Thanks!

Louise Wetherbee Phelps
Adjunct Professor of Rhetoric and Writing, Old Dominion University
Emeritus Professor of Writing and Rhetoric, Syracuse University
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- To leave the list, send a SIGNOFF CASLL-L command to [log in to unmask] or, if you experience difficulties, write to Russ Hunt at [log in to unmask]