When: March-13-15 11:00 AM-12:00 PM. (UTC-05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Where: WB215 - 200 College Street

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Hi All,

SOCAAR is pleased to announce the next SOCAAR Seminar:

Friday, March 13, 2015, 11AM to 12PM
200 College Street – WB215

ENGINEERING FOR THE 21ST CENTURY:
THE CHALLENGE OF SUSTAINABILITY

Cliff I. Davidson
 Director, Center for Sustainable Engineering

Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering
and Center for Environmental and Energy Systems
Syracuse University , New York

The needs of society and ways to meet those needs are changing rapidly, as both global population and affluence rise. Engineering students currently being trained at many of the nation’s universities are only now starting to learn about the new constraints of economic, social, and environmental sustainability in their programs. These constraints also affect the way professional engineering firms are responding to client needs, despite the fact that most practicing engineers have not been trained in sufficient depth to account for long-term changing availability of input resources and the need for reduced outputs of waste in their design of products and processes. In this seminar, we explore (1) the knowledge and skills future engineers must develop to be ready for the challenges of this century, (2) what engineering programs at U.S. colleges and universities are doing to prepare future engineers to meet these challenges, and (3) what the public does and doesn’t understand about technology and the impacts of day-to-day decisions on environmental sustainability. This last topic is an area of active research

If you are unable to join us for the seminar in person, we will be broadcasting the presentations live during the seminar using GoToMeeting software. Please feel free to join us online using a web-browser or by calling in and using the webviewing software. If you do decide to join us, please remember to mute your microphone.  If you have any questions during the meeting you are welcome to contact me by email, or by using the GoToMeeting chat.

Instructions on how to connect:

Using your web-browser or smartphone

<https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/723946781><https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/723946781>
https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/643690605