I circulated a newspaper article a few weeks ago about this doctor, and the work he is doing.  I’ve now read the 2nd book that he has recently written.

Dr Doidge believes that the brain can change its structure – “neuroplasticity” -  even if it is severely damaged through trauma, or through disease, including Parkinson's, leading to a cessation of, or improvement in symptoms.  He gives a number of examples, a couple of which are to do with Parkinson's.

Chapter 2 is given over to the story of John Pepper, a South African who was diagnosed with Parkinson's.  Mr. Pepper has been able to get his physical symptoms under control by two methods.  Note, he is not “cured”, but has a much better life.   First of all, he used walking as a way of exercise. He developed “fast walking”, which pushed his body to walk up to 8 km 3 to 4 times a week.  This helped keep him mobile, and he believes, started the re-wiring process in his brain, so much so that he was able to stop taking his medication, after a couple of years.  He also developed a way of walking that involved “switching off” the automatic movements that we all make when we walk, and instead, focussing intently on each individual movement made in taking a step.  As long as he concentrated on the movement, he lots his shuffle gait, the foot dragging and his inability to swing one arm.  If he stops concentrating, they return.

Then in Chapter 7 he investigates a device created by 3 researchers at the University of Wisconsin (called PoNS), which uses electric pulses to stimulate the brain, via the tongue.  One of the examples is a lady with Parkinson's, who regained the ability to speak and walk, and had a diminished tremor.  Dr Doidge posits that use of this device might be an alternative to DBS for Parkinson's sufferers.

All of this is really interesting.  I think there is now plenty of research about the benefit of exercise for PWP.  The book makes the point that we should start exercise as soon as possible after diagnosis, and that we are in a bind – because of our stiffness, exercise can be challenging, but if we can’t exercise, our stiffness is worse.  I’m more sceptical about the PoNS device – there was very little actual data, though some good anecdotes and stories.  Has anyone else heard anything about this device?

Julie