Russ and all:

I wonder if you are aware of the Citation Project that has been done by Becky Howard and others to study students' citation practices and beliefs? I don't know if this has been done in any country besides the U.S. Here's the link to a website about it and related publications, I think including a textbook:

http://site.citationproject.net/?page_id=25

Louise Wetherbee Phelps
Adjunct Professor of Rhetoric and Writing, Old Dominion University
Emeritus Professor of Writing and Rhetoric, Syracuse University